CHICAGO – State Senator Bill Cunningham encouraged area restaurants, hotels and other small businesses to take advantage of new emergency assistance programs Monday.
CHICAGO – State Senator Bill Cunningham is urging residents to file complaints with the Office of the Attorney General if they experience price-gouging, scams or other unfair practices related to the COVID-19 outbreak.
“We all have a part to play in preventing bad actors from using this pandemic to exploit others,” said Cunningham, a Democrat who represents portions of Chicago and the southwest suburbs. “I encourage anyone who has information on price gouging or scams to report it to the Attorney General’s Office.”
Governor JB Pritzker issued an executive order last week to prohibit price gouging related to the coronavirus epidemic. Attorney General Kwame Raoul’s office is enforcing the order and directing businesses to maintain fair pricing practices – particularly on items public health officials are recommending to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
The Attorney General’s office is also monitoring pricing on online retail platforms, such as Amazon and eBay.
“During this challenging time, no one should have to worry about being taken advantage of,” Cunningham said. “I’m glad to see that the governor and the attorney general are taking an aggressive approach to stopping these practices.”
More information about price gouging and scams related to coronavirus is available at illinoisattorneygeneral.gov.
CHICAGO – Area residents are encouraged to stop by State Senator Bill Cunningham’s district office Saturday, Feb. 29 and Saturday, March 21 to participate in the Chicago Multiethnic Prevention and Surveillance Study (COMPASS) through the University of Chicago.
COMPASS is a long-term research project aimed at better understanding the connections between genetics, environment, health behaviors and chronic diseases, including cancers, in the Chicago area. The study’s findings will be used to inform public policy and develop strategies for further research.
Cunningham is hosting the event along with State Rep. Fran Hurley, State Rep. Kelly Burke and Alderman Matt O’Shea.
On both days, the COMPASS mobile unit will be parked in front of Cunningham’s office at 10400 S. Western Ave. in Chicago from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Participants are eligible to receive $50 in Visa gift cards.
“This study is going to help us better understand health outcomes in the city of Chicago and will shed some light on suspected cancer risks here in the 19th Ward,” said Cunningham, a Democrat who represents portions of Chicago and the southwest suburbs. “I encourage everyone available to participate in the study and help us learn more about how we can improve public health.”
Participation in COMPASS includes:
Study participants are encouraged to fill out the consent form and surveys prior to arriving to save time. Those forms can be accessed at https://compass.uchicago.edu.
Questions about COMPASS can be directed to research specialist Andy Craver, who can reached at
SPRINGFIELD – State Senator Bill Cunningham praised the budget proposal offered by Governor JB Pritzker Wednesday for its focus on funding education and public safety in Illinois.
The governor’s proposal includes several increases for education at all levels, including increases of $50 million for the early childhood block grant and $350 million in evidence-based funding for K-12 schools throughout the state.
“I’m glad to see that Governor Pritzker is continuing to maintain his commitment to making a high quality education available for students at all levels,” said Cunningham, a Democrat who represents portions of Chicago and the southwest suburbs. “These funding increases would be a significant win for students and educators throughout the state.”
College affordability was also a focus of the budget proposal, which included increases of $50 million for the MAP program and $35 million for the AIM HIGH program. Both programs provide financial assistance for low- and middle-income students who wish to pursue a post-secondary education.
“Rising tuition and fees have placed a college education out of reach for far too many students in our state,” Cunningham said. “We need to ensure that every student who wants to pursue a degree will have the opportunity to do so, and increasing funding for these programs is a great step toward that goal.”
Cunningham also expressed his support for the proposed investments in public safety, including $17.2 million to fund three Illinois State Police cadet classes that will graduate an estimated 255 troopers.
“The work of our state troopers is instrumental in making Illinois a safe place to live, and adding three new classes to their ranks will help them better protect and serve the people of Illinois,” Cunningham said.
CHICAGO – The school districts of Evergreen Park and Worth will be eligible to receive property tax relief thanks to a state grant program, State Senator Bill Cunningham announced Friday.
“One of the top issues in our state right now is the need to find new solutions to our sky high property tax rates,” said Cunningham, a Democrat who represents portions of Chicago and the southwest suburbs. “This program is a critical step toward bringing those rates down in some of the highest taxed school districts in Illinois.”
Evergreen Park Community High School District 231 will receive $668,831 in grant funding while Worth School District 127 will receive $866,277.
The grants will be distributed through the Illinois State Board of Education’s Property Tax Relief Grant program, which seeks to ease the burden on residents of heavily taxed school districts. The amount of the grant then becomes a permanent part of the districts’ yearly base funding amounts going forward.
“The funding available through these grants is going to be a major boost for these school districts for years to come,” Cunningham said. “This is going to help us start shifting some of the school funding burden away from local taxpayers and onto the state.”
More information about the Property Tax Relief Grant is available at https://www.isbe.net/proptaxrelief.
SPRINGFIELD – State Senator Bill Cunningham was named president pro tempore of the Illinois State Senate Tuesday by Senate President Don Harmon.
“I’m honored to have the opportunity to continuing serving in the Illinois Senate as a part of President Harmon’s leadership team,” said Cunningham, a Democrat who represents portions of Chicago and the southwest suburbs. “This is an exciting new role for me and I look forward to the new challenges it brings.”
As Senate president pro tempore, Cunningham will serve as a trusted advisor to the Senate President and a senior member of his leadership team.
“We have a lot of work to do on behalf of the people of Illinois this spring,” Cunningham said. “I’m looking forward to working with President Harmon and my colleagues in the General Assembly to tackle the biggest issues facing our state, including reducing out of control property taxes and reforming our ethics laws to hold those in government accountable.”
Cunningham has represented Illinois’ 18th Senate District since 2013. Prior to joining the Senate, he also served in the Illinois House of Representatives.
SPRINGFIELD – A measure co-sponsored by State Senator Bill Cunningham that speeds access to a property tax break for seniors was signed into law Tuesday.
House Bill 961 will allow seniors to benefit earlier than originally scheduled from a new law removing the need for Cook County residents aged 65 or older to reapply annually to receive the Senior Citizen Homestead Exemption, a property tax exemption designed to assist senior citizens financially.
Seniors will have to apply only once more for the Homestead Exemption in 2020 before being grandfathered in to the program. A previous law would have required them to reapply through 2021.
“The application process for the Homestead Exemption can be confusing for some people and it just doesn’t make sense to require it more than once,” said Cunningham, a Democrat who represents portions of Chicago and the southwest suburbs. “Once you turn 65, you’re always eligible for the exemption. We shouldn’t be forcing people to prove that year after year.”
Currently, every county in Illinois other than Cook may allow seniors to receive the exemption without reapplying.
The measure also requires Cook County agencies to record events that would end the exemption, such as property transfers, to ensure that ineligible property owners do not take advantage of the tax break.
House Bill 961 passed the Illinois Senate and House of Representatives without opposition in November.
SPRINGFIELD – More seniors will be eligible for certain state benefits under new changes implemented by the Illinois Department on Aging, State Senator Bill Cunningham announced Tuesday.
“Many seniors live on a fixed income, and we need to ensure that all of them have access to the benefits they need,” said Cunningham, a Democrat who represents portions of Chicago and the southwest suburbs. “This program provides valuable assistance to some of the most vulnerable people in our state. Expanding its availability is simply the right thing to do.”
The new rules increase annual income limits to participate in the Benefits Access Program, which includes the Secretary of State license plate discount, seniors ride free transit benefit and persons with disabilities ride free transit benefit. Eligibility for the program is now determined by income as follows:
For applications submitted between January 1 and April 15, income amounts from 2018 will be used to determine eligibility. For applications submitted after April 15, income amounts from 2019 will be used.
The changes come as part of the bipartisan budget implementation bill passed by the General Assembly last spring. This is the first time the annual income limits for the program have been increased since 2010.
Applications may be submitted online at www.illinois.gov/aging under the “Benefit Access” tab. For assistance, call the Illinois Department on Aging Senior HelpLine at 1-800-252-8966 (hearing impaired call 1-888-206-1327).
Page 14 of 37